Our journey into 2011 has begun and with it, a list of new resolutions and a huge list of wants. Following fashion magazines, trends and influencers has never been easier with the evolution of blogging, Twitter and the ubiquitous smartphone.
We decided to catch up with a few of our favourite influencers in the fashion and beauty realm and share what they believe are 2011 must-haves.
The founder and Editor-in-Chief of the popular Toronto fashion blog, I want - I got.
The Bag: I'm still loving the PS1 from Proenza Schouler so I think any type of schoolboy satchel is pretty fun
The Shoes: I'm not into kitten heels so I'm still on the platform bandwagon. It should be a good season for colour.
Skincare: Dermalogica is my tried and true skincare regime. Photo by Rannie Turingan
Make-up: I don't really wear too much makeup but I recently discovered Dalish Cosmetics's Ruby Red lipstick. It's a great colour that I will have to keep stocked this year.
I Want list for 2011: I'm looking forward to wearing some Philip Sparks womenswear in 2011.
Janine Falcon, beauty expert, Face Kit editor of The Kit (thekit.ca) and founder of BeautyGeeks (imabeautygeek.com)
The Bag: One that comes with a personal assistant -- he doesn't have to be any taller than 6'3" -- to carry it would be sweet. My bag is typically ridiculously heavy with my laptop and papers, so he'll have to be eight-pack-abs strong.
The Shoes: I'm all over Spring's kitten heels. They're ladylike and quite leg-flattering. They'd be perfect if they came with a car and driver so as to preserve their prettiness and the health of my feet, what with all my running around to appointments.
Skincare: Skincare must-haves for me include daily SPF, gentle exfoliation assistance, hydration and a measure of oil control. It doesn't come in just one item, so at the moment I'm into Neostrata Daytime Moisture Infusion Cream SPF 15, which contains a hefty amount of hydrating hyaluronic acid plus sunscreen; Dermalogica Daily Microfoliant, a rice-enzyme powder which makes a gentle exfoliating paste when water hits it; La Mer The Oil Absorbing Lotion, which I sometimes use in my T-zone because I can't resist the light scent, lovely texture and, to be honest, the La Mer story; and MAC Blot Powder/Pressed or CoverFX Matte FX pressed powder, both of which stop my face from feeling like someone's about to fry an egg on it. I may add a new tool or two, too -- I love the Clarisonic cleansing system concept. I think of it as the electric toothbrush of face care (electric toothbrushes are far more effective cleaning tools than the basic toothbrush you get from your cheap-o dentist). And come 2011, a big brand is launching a much less expensive motorized-brush facial cleansing tool at drugstores; I'll have to compare them.
Make-up: I have makeup staples such as Make Up For Ever Aqua Eyes waterproof liners and the aforementioned blot powders. However some new things -- that may or may not be available just yet -- are vying for place in my personal kit, such as:
• Sally Hansen Natural Beauty Inspired by Carmindy Forever Stay Eye Pencil in Deep Jade (it's creamy, long-lasting and gorgeous with hazel eyes -- actually, it's already in my kit)
• Urban Decay 24/7 Glide-On Eye Pencil (also super creamy and long-wearing -- and already in my kit)
• Physicians Formula Eye Booster 2-in-1 Lash Boosting Eyeliner + Serum in Ultra Black (it's a liquid liner with a built-in Japanese lash-boosting peptide -- smart! and already in my kit)
• Rimmel Match Perfection Concealer, which gives impressive coverage and blend-into-skin ability for the price
• The Body Shop Tailored Cheek Tint, a gel that reacts with your skin's pH for a customized flush (Smashbox did it first with O-Glow, and Stila launched a powder version last year which is also great)
• Smashbox In Bloom Cream Cheek Duo in Blushing/Peony (such pretty Spring shades)
• Joe Fresh Style Matte Lipstick in Fuchsia (THE lip colour for Spring -- nearly every Canadian beauty editor is in love with it; it's already in my lip-colour rotation)
• pretty much any YSL Rouge Volupté Lipstick that comes out (dreamy texture and great staying power; worth the splurge)
• OPI Axxium manicures (I'm a tad obsessed with this soak-off gel stuff -- I get three weeks of strong, chip-free colour, and my nails are still super healthy although I've been having Axxium manis back-to-back since April 2010)
• and of course I need Chanel's nail lacquer in Riva, which is the colour of shallow Caribbean sea in the sunlight (I can apply it over Axxium and have it last ages because it's going over a synthetic surface, then remove it days later and still have my super-shiny Axxium finish)
I think I need a bigger makeup kit.
The Beauty Essential: As for my one beauty essential, is it cheating to say my skincare-and-makeup bag, which would also include an electric toothbrush and Crest Pro-Health Toothpaste -- if I get rescued I still want to have a decent smile -- as well as Head & Shoulders Smooth & Silky shampoo and conditioner because when I get stressed I need a little flake defense? Okay, I can save space with the 2-in-1 Head & Shoulders instead. Oh, and I'm going to need a Venus Embrace razor and blades, seriously. Plus Weleda Sea Buckthorn Oil, to help my skin in case I get a touch too much sun exposure. I also reserve the right to consider Vancouver-based La Mer genius facialist Edmond Lee, whose gifted intuitive touch when it comes to facial massage can release tension in the whole body. And what is it with Vancouver? Sidney has Alana Decourt at Fresh Esthetics Studio -- as talented as Edmond, she's a wonderfully intuitive masseuse who hits every pressure point without your ever having to direct her.
Okay, can we arrange for me to be stranded on an island with Edmond and Alana, and my skincare-and-makeup suitcase? Oh nuts. Can the ladies at Tips Nail Bar on the Danforth come too?
The Bag: Celine. I love Phoebe Philo's simply structured designs. They're also incredibly practical. My fall Celine bag is mid-size but has room for all of my essentials. Second choice, Victoria Beckham. She has a terrific eye for fashion and her new handbag collection is luxe, gorgeous and functional.
The Shoes: I love heels but spring is the season for flats. I have my eye on the metal trimmed flats at Lanvin and Chloe's ballet-inspired slippers.
Skincare: I test a lot of the products that come into Flare so I don't have any particular favourites. I take great care with my skin and that always starts with an SPF 15 moisturizer.
Make-up: I'm going to experiment more with colour. I'm already loving wearing a fuchsia lipstick. Next up: coloured eye liner.
Dirty Little Fashion Secrets: Fashion secrets are never dirty. I'm happy to share all of my tips and hot finds on Twitter, Flare.com and Flare.
Photo by Norman Wong
There you have it, the inside scoop on the 2011 must-haves! Be sure to follow these fashion and beauty aficionados on their websites and Twitter. Don't forget to tweet us(@toronto_moda) and let us know what is on your 2011 must-have list.