Here are just a few simple techniques to flatter any/every body. I could write for hours about dressing for your body type, but that will have to wait for another day. For the moment, here are 5 tips to keep in mind.
1. Tonal dressing elongates the body. By employing tonal dressing, one colour from head to toe, you will look taller and slimmer. Not only that, but verticals are symbols of power. If you think that tonal dressing is a bit too drab, add pops of colour with accessories or a bold lip! Refer to the image below for two examples of tonal dressing. The look on the left is great for going out, it is tone on tone but the variation of textures adds dimension. The look on the right is casual yet chic with the touches of colour and the use of great accessories!
Image courtesy of BCBG.com
2. A shoe that is a similar colour to the leg will elongate the look of your leg. This concept is very similar to Tip #1. A shoe that matches your skin tone(or a black shoe if you’re wearing black tights) will make you appear taller. This is because our eyes will follow the lines of the leg from top to bottom. An ankle strap or contrasting coloured shoe will cut that off, whereas a shoe that matches the skin tone will let the eye keep going, therefore making you look taller and leaner.
Image courtesy of HarpersBazaar.com
3. Platform heels are MUCH comfier than plain old heels and have the same height effect. There are two examples below. The pair on the left has a hidden platform, this is just for aesthetic purposes. They both look great but it depends which one suits your personal style.
Image courtesy of AldoShoes.com
4. Dark wash jeans make you look slimmer. As for the cut of the jeans, that depends on your body. Skinny jeans aren’t for everyone so make sure you find a pair that fits you. I am a huge fan of cigarette legs, they’re a slim leg but they’re not as slim as skinny’s but slimmer than a straight leg. For me it’s the perfect medium!
Image courtesy of Levi.ca
5. Bronzer and Blush are a girls best friend. If you lack in the cheekbone department, why not create some contours with make up? Bronzer is an easy way to add life to your look while a touch of blush on the apples of your cheeks adds freshness. But don’t do what Brea did(refer to video below), that isn’t quite what I had in mind when I said ‘add life” and “freshness”.
Video courtesy of Brea Felton